Quemetco’s Commitment to Environmental Safety
Since 2008, Quemetco has invested close to $50 million installing and maintaining new pollution control equipment and monitoring devices.
The Quemetco facility has multiple, state of the art environmental control and monitoring systems including:
- A Wet Electrostatic Precipitator (“WESP”) that Quemetco voluntarily installed in 2008 at a cost of over $25 million. The WESP system dramatically reduces emissions of lead, arsenic and other hazardous air pollutants. (See WESP for additional, detailed information.);
- A Regenerative Thermal Oxidizer – similar to an afterburner – was installed to destroy certain smog–forming organic compounds, also eliminating potential odors;
- Air quality fence line monitoring samples for lead and arsenic content are collected daily, analyzed by a third party laboratory and sent to the South Coast Air Quality Management District;
- Upgrades were made to ensure that all processing equipment operates under negative pressure to prevent materials from escaping into the air when doors are opened. In addition, liner-membranes are installed underneath the floors of the areas in which processing occurs;
- All water utilized during the lead recycling process is collected and treated on-site in Quemetco’s wastewater treatment system prior to being reused or discharged to a Los Angeles County water treatment plant.
COI Facility Wide Annual Lead Monitoring Averages
Quemetco COI Employee Average Blood Leads
Quemetco Recognized for Environmental Compliance by EPA and Los Angeles County Sanitation District
Quemetco is ISO 9001, 14001, 50001, and OHSAS 18001 Certified